[ixpmanager] IRR updating issue with BGPQ3

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:54:54 IST 2023

As far as I can see, our conversation transcended the scope of a mail-list
dedicated to supporting the IXP-Manager community.

On the one hand, this is bad.
I apologize for having helped trigger this change of course.

On the other hand, this is good.
Well-meaning people having a tool in common talking about difficulties that
transcend the tool.

But back to the topic:
I imagine this conversation will get to the point of talking about some
kind of multibase referential integrity check.

And I believe that this is already being discussed by other colleagues.
I bring it here for your knowledge:

https://github.com/mxsasha/nrtmv4
https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/mxsasha/nrtmv4/blob/main/draft-ietf-grow-nrtm-v4.html

Em qua., 5 de jul. de 2023 às 16:56, Richard Laager via ixpmanager <
ixpmanager at inex.ie> escreveu:

> On 2023-07-05 08:18, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>
> Richard Laager via ixpmanager wrote on 04/07/2023 22:11:
>
> This is supported in bgpq4, which works fine with IXP Manager if you have
> this trivial patch, which is in bgpq4 1.10 (and 1.11):
> https://github.com/bgp/bgpq4/pull/90
>

> it's not supported in RPSL, which is where it needs to be supported. The
> current implementation in peeringdb / bgpq4 is convenient syntax but little
> more.
>
> It is genuinely useful if someone's as-set name exists in multiple IRRs,
> especially if the right one is higher in the list. This actually happened
> for us, where someone has AS-ABC in RADB, but someone else has AS-ABC in
> RIPE (which, as an authenticated IRR, we have listed before RADB). Them
> being able to specify RADB::AS-ABC made it work.
>
> But yes, I agree with your point generally.
>

> RPSL support would allow us to address some of the serious structural
> disambiguation associated with RPSL syntax when dealing with
> multiple IRRDBs.
>
> Writing and RFC for this would be pretty straightforward. But for this to
> go anywhere, there would have to be interest from other players, e.g. irrd.
> Do you have any idea if this has been discussed in those circles?
>
> --
> Richard

Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação