[ixpmanager] IRR updating issue with BGPQ3

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Tue Jul 4 11:10:50 IST 2023

Hi Douglas,

Douglas Fischer via ixpmanager wrote on 04/07/2023 10:56:
> And what about using the AS-SET object declared in PeeringDB?

IXP Manager allows the IX operation to use whatever the member tells
them to use. Normally this is covered off by an application form /
onboarding.

IXP Manager will also pull this information from Peering DB as a helper
when creating a member.

If you're suggesting we auto-update the AS-SET from PeeringDB after
initial onboarding, then that makes me very uneasy and certainly
violates the principle of least surprise. The relationship is between IX
and member directly, not via PeeringDB.

There may be a useful idea in an 'audit' function that shows what's
different between PeeringDB and the IX but at the end of the day, the
member tells the IX what's appropriate to use for that particular
network/IX connection. The IX operator sanity checks it of course.

There may also be scope to allow a member to opt in and say 'PeeringDB
is the source of truth for my network info, pull from there and update'.
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this as an IX operator - would
need to think it through.

I think there was talk on this list of one IX writing their own scripts
to do this.

> The more usual (and relaxed) syntax is AS65123::AS-CUSTOMERS, or
> AS-JOHNDOENET
> But the mor strict (and more correct, in my opinion) syntax is RADB::
> AS65123::AS-CUSTOMERS or RADB::AS-JOHNDOENET

We've spent at lot of time at our IX getting networks to register
route[6]: objects correctly. For us, that mostly meant RIPE. But we have
larger global networks that ask us to pull IRR info from multiple
sources (e.g. RIPE, ARIN and APNIC). These are three RIRs so good
sources of truth - not sure of the syntax here allows more that one
IRRdb? And we don't want to go and tell them: nope, please use RADB /
other and merge these.

But even if the syntax supports it, the ability to specify IRR
source(s), AS number and AS-SET is fully supported in IXP Manager.

  - Barry