[ixpmanager] IRR updating issue with BGPQ3

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jul 5 20:56:30 IST 2023

On 2023-07-05 08:18, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Richard Laager via ixpmanager wrote on 04/07/2023 22:11:
>> This is supported in bgpq4, which works fine with IXP Manager if you
>> have this trivial patch, which is in bgpq4 1.10 (and 1.11):
>> https://github.com/bgp/bgpq4/pull/90
>
> it's not supported in RPSL, which is where it needs to be supported.
> The current implementation in peeringdb / bgpq4 is convenient syntax
> but little more.

It is genuinely useful if someone's as-set name exists in multiple IRRs,
especially if the right one is higher in the list. This actually
happened for us, where someone has AS-ABC in RADB, but someone else has
AS-ABC in RIPE (which, as an authenticated IRR, we have listed before
RADB). Them being able to specify RADB::AS-ABC made it work.

But yes, I agree with your point generally.

> RPSL support would allow us to address some of the serious structural
> disambiguation associated with RPSL syntax when dealing with
> multiple IRRDBs.
Writing and RFC for this would be pretty straightforward. But for this
to go anywhere, there would have to be interest from other players, e.g.
irrd. Do you have any idea if this has been discussed in those circles?

--
Richard