[ixpmanager] Independent Route Server

Jay Hanke jayhanke at southfront.io
Sat Aug 22 02:17:04 IST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 8:07 PM Salvador Bertenbreiter <salvador at pitperu.net>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I hope you're doing great. I have two public Route Servers we use to
> exchange traffic among all members without restrictions beside advertise
> anything bigger than /24. However, we also have some Cache Servers that we
> fill with IP transit and that are part of a /25 network. Because of those
> two points, we need to give access to those servers (or actually that
> network) only to select members, so I can't advertise that /25 network to
> the regular Route Servers.

I've run into this issue before. We didn't want to have a different set of
route servers with a different group of peers so what we did was had the
routers that the caching take in a BGP feed from the existing route servers
and then just allowed the much smaller amount of request (reverse) traffic
bounce through the peer that is advertising the /24 the /25 is part of. Of
course if you have the address space, go ahead and burn a /24.

Also, IPv6 address space is much easier to get so if you increase the size
of your advertised block to at least a /48 you can then peer normally with
the caching engines.