[ixpmanager] Fwd: IXP Manager Developer Support

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Thu Jul 11 15:15:31 IST 2019

Right, ok.  That paper was based on Nick Feamster's ideas from around
2013 - 2014.  So there are two things here: 1) using openflow to program
basic frame forwarding rules based on mac addresses, which has been done
successfully at Toulouse IX and one or two other exchanges and 2) using
openflow to implement internal IXP forwarding decisions and filtering
based on higher level policy rules.

There was a lively discussion about issue #2 at a Euro-IX meeting a
couple of years ago.  The general feeling from the IXP community was
that imposing traffic routing policy at layer 2 wouldn't scale in
production because IXP switches are typically resource-constrained.
I.e. you would only be able to install a tiny number of rules before the
switch would run out of hardware capacity to handle them. Obviously this
stage would depend on what switch hardware was in use, but you could
rule out using cost effective top-of-rack equipment and you'd need to
start thinking about running overlays on layer 3 NPU based equipment.
It would be quite expensive, per port.

The second outcome from that meeting came from the IXP participants who
were there.  The exact words used by one major hyperscale person were:
"Don't touch our traffic!".

Despite BGP's well-known and well-understood shortcomings, they made it
clear that the job of an IXP operator was to forward frames between the
specified source and destination routers, and nothing more.  All the
hyperscales and large content networks have their own clear ideas about
how they want their traffic to be forwarded around the place.  They were
crystal clear that they absolutely did not want IXPs interfering their
policy routing decisions, any more than they would want the passengers
in the bus fighting over control of the steering wheel: it tends not to
end up well.

Nick