[ixpmanager] Fwd: IXP Manager Developer Support

Haider Ali haiderrana45 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:00:12 IST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Haider Ali <haiderrana45 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [ixpmanager] IXP Manager Developer Support
To: <mahtin at mahtin.com>
O'Donovan <barry.odonovan at inex.ie>

Dear Nick,

I couldn't see your message in my inbox yesterday. When I saw the mailing
list, then saw some other unread messages too. Thanks for your reply Nick.

This paper is focused on your answer:
https://sites.cs.ucsb.edu/~arpitgupta/pdfs/sdx.pdf

Summary of this paper and my requirement:

The three limitations of BGP are following which can be solved by
Software-defined exchange point:
  • Routing only on destination IP prefix. BGP selects and exports routes
for destination prefixes. Networks cannot make more fine-grained decisions
based on the type of application or the sender. Type of decisions may be
application-specific peering, inbound traffic engineering, server load
balancing, and traffic redirection through middleboxes
• Influence only over direct neighbors. A network selects among BGP routes
learned from its direct neighbors, and exports selected routes to these
neighbors. Networks have little control over end-to-end paths.
 • Indirect expression of policy. Networks rely on indirect, obscure
mechanisms (e.g., “local preference”, “AS Path Prepending”) to influence
path selection. Networks cannot directly express preferred inbound and
outbound paths.

*I am more interested in the application specific peering and traffic
redirection through middleboxes. An application can be youtube and
middlebox can be a scrubber.*
Its a whole paper to understand how SDN can help IXP. But for instance, I
want to route my traffic of youtube or Netflix (which is very high these
days) through some fixed route or routers then IXP won't help in it as far
as I know because it is assumed as a dumb switch. Instead, SDN will help.
The controller of SDN will tell to switch about the peering or forwarding
to required middleboxes etc will be compelling applications.

*For now, I just wanted to know that how should one start as a developer if
one intends to understand ixp manager and then convert to Sdn based ixp
manager.*

The first goal I set is to connect my SDN based IXP (in which there is a
controller and switch) with IXP manager. I have built an SDN based
controller and switch with route server etc on OpenFlow. I needed an
interface on which ISPs come and *choose the policies *(which is automatic
step). I chose IXP manager for that.

*Kindly guide me.*
I appreciate your help Martin and Barry.

-Haider