[ixpmanager] multiple route servers handling

Athanasios Douitsis aduitsis at noc.ntua.gr
Mon Feb 18 14:37:18 GMT 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:33:36PM +0200, Athanasios Douitsis wrote:

> Στις 2019-02-13 23:56, Barry O'Donovan έγραψε:
> > Hi Athanasios,
>

> Hello Barry,
>

> > Athanasios Douitsis wrote on 13/02/2019 13:18:
> > > Birdseye 1.1.0 works flawlessly in each of our route servers. Would
> > > you be so kind as to indicate where can we find this updated version
> > > (some branch perhaps) and give it a spin in one of our test route
> > > servers? Do we just clone the HEAD from the master?
> >
> > the functionality you see on the INEX IXP Manager link I provided is
> > not really Bird's Eye. Bird's Eye provides the API access to the data
> > but IXP Manager defines the communities in the route server
> > configuration it generates and then interprets those to present the
> > exclamation (route filtered) / coloured badges.
>

> Okay, yes, makes total sense.
>

> > This isn't available for use or testing right now as it requires a ton
> > of documentation for both the upgrade and the new features. What will
> > be released in time is:
> >
> > IXP Manager v5 - with Bird v2 support (where all of this functionality
> > exists), RPKI support and the looking glass updates. Also an important
> > note is that this functionality has not and will not be back ported to
> > Bird v1.6 (as this does not support RPKI RTR). The IXP Manager code is
> > in a private internal development repo.
>
> Okay, so not visible yet.
>

> > Bird's Eye v1.2 which augments Bird's Eye to support changes in Bird
> > v2 (this is all in the master branch).
>
> Okay, again, makes sense.
>
> Thank you most kindly for the clarifying response.
>
> All in all, I can see that this is a change that touches practically
> everything (ixpmanager and birdseye), and goes beyond just incorporating the
> ability to see the prefixes from multiple route servers.
>
> Kind regards,
> Athanasios

Barry, hello again, pardon the interruption,

I was looking at the https://www.inex.ie/ixp/lg/ example you've sent.

The legend clearly indicates that, for each table, there are
primary/active/blocked routes and each of these 3 types gets a different
icon. Pardon me if I'm missing something, but I'm trying to figure out
how does the t_* table display know whether a prefix got rejected or
not. This is a piece of information that is really knowable only by
looking at the respective protocol for that table. So, the question is,
when the looking glass is displaying a certain t_* table, it is also taking
into account the respective pb_* protocol, is that right?

Many thanks in advance,
Athanasios

> >  - Barry
> >

> > > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Barry O'Donovan
> > > <barry.odonovan at inex.ie <mailto:barry.odonovan at inex.ie>> wrote:
> > >

> > >     Athanasios Douitsis wrote on 13/02/2019 11:55:
> > >      > In your example, apart from the aesthetic makeover, I see that
> > >     one can
> > >      > see the blocked / filtered routes.I take it the feature will be
> > >     using
> > >      > the lg in the side of the route server and some pleasant
> > >     interface in
> > >      > the ixpmanager.
> > >
> > >     Yes, this is part of the new features. Note the lg also shows
> > > /why/ a
> > >     route is blocked (via the 'Details' button).
> > >
> > >        - Barry

Athanasios Douitsis
National Technical University of Athens NOC
e: aduitsis at noc.ntua.gr | t: +302107722409