[ixpmanager] Reseller support

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Sun May 28 10:00:27 IST 2017

> Currently (or at least, on version V4.3.0 that we run), a member can be
> declared as a "resold member", and in this case it is associated with a
> specific reseller. Ports of this member can be associated with a fanout
> port, or not [I assume the latter is there to support the case where a
> reseller connects a resold customer that consumes the entire capacity of
> a port -- in this case no fanout is necessary]

Pretty much + general flexibility.

> Please consider the following scenarios:
> - A (normal) member has also presence on another location, which can be
> connected through a reseller. Hence this member connects through normal
> IX ports and resold ports (with our w/out fanout) at the same time.
> - A remote member has presence in two different locations, and in each
> location a different reseller is present. Hence, the member needs to be
> associated with two different resellers
> - Combination of the two previous cases, where a member has some direct
> IX connections and ports from at least two different resellers.
>
> I understand that the above are not covered by the existing model.

Correct, not covered.

> Is this on the roadmap? If not, do you see a need to support this model?

These are not on the roadmap. Support for this would require a not
insignificant change: essentially moving the reseller relationship from
the member itself to individual ports.

As yet we have not come up against any of these scenarios. Typically,
resold members tend to be small / remote and have only an interest in a
single connection.

INEX's reseller program is tiny so we may not be the best example. But
other IXP Manager users with well developed / used reseller programs
haven't come up against this yet.

Have you?