[ixpmanager] Reseller support

Andreas Polyrakis apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
Sun May 28 10:26:00 IST 2017

On 05/28/2017 12:00 PM, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
>> Currently (or at least, on version V4.3.0 that we run), a member can be
>> declared as a "resold member", and in this case it is associated with a
>> specific reseller. Ports of this member can be associated with a fanout
>> port, or not [I assume the latter is there to support the case where a
>> reseller connects a resold customer that consumes the entire capacity of
>> a port -- in this case no fanout is necessary]
> Pretty much + general flexibility.
>

>> Please consider the following scenarios:
>> - A (normal) member has also presence on another location, which can be
>> connected through a reseller. Hence this member connects through normal
>> IX ports and resold ports (with our w/out fanout) at the same time.
>> - A remote member has presence in two different locations, and in each
>> location a different reseller is present. Hence, the member needs to be
>> associated with two different resellers
>> - Combination of the two previous cases, where a member has some direct
>> IX connections and ports from at least two different resellers.
>>
>> I understand that the above are not covered by the existing model.
> Correct, not covered.
>
>> Is this on the roadmap? If not, do you see a need to support this model?
> These are not on the roadmap. Support for this would require a not
> insignificant change: essentially moving the reseller relationship from
> the member itself to individual ports.
>
> As yet we have not come up against any of these scenarios. Typically,
> resold members tend to be small / remote and have only an interest in a
> single connection.
>
> INEX's reseller program is tiny so we may not be the best example. But
> other IXP Manager users with well developed / used reseller programs
> haven't come up against this yet.
>
> Have you?

Thank you Barry for the clear reply.

Almost -- we have two members that have expressed interest to connect
though resellers. Exactly because they are small, connecting remote
cities through resellers is very attracting to them.

I expected to hear that this is neither supported not simple.Maybe
others with more experience on reselling can comment on if this is a
scenario that needs to be addressed in the future -- or possible
workarounds (we consider creating second entries on IXPmanager for the
remote peerings of these members...)

Andreas

Andreas Polyrakis - apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
GRNET NOC Technical Manager
Greek Research & Technology Network - http://www.grnet.gr
7, Kifisias Av., Ampelokipi, 11523 Athens, Greece
Mobile: +30 6972832445    Office: +30 2107474249   Fax: +30 2107474490