[ixpmanager] Feature Request: Bird Routeserver AS Prepending

Daniel Spierling daniel.spierling at de-cix.net
Wed Aug 12 10:29:59 IST 2015

Dear Barry et al,

although Routeservers should by definition be always transparent while reflecting BGP routes from its peers, we currently got one new customer connected, who requested to prepend the routeserver ASN for all exported BGP routes, in order to meet his policy..

As I was not able to find this possibility within the IXP Manager for BIRD yet, a quick fix has been implemented, by modifying the AS-PATH of routes before they are being exported from the peer specific RIB.

However our current approach does not scale for further customers, this is why we would kindly request a new feature to activate the RS ASN prepending if needed:

- Add a Checkbox inside the IXP Manager Webinterface, so that we might enable the AS Prepending Feature per „Customer Peering Connection“. For example I would expect it to be next to the „is Routeserver Client“ Checkbox.

- Adjust the IXP Manager Customer Database in order to save this Information (e.g. as an boolean attribute)

- Finally this should then be accessible while generating the Bird Configuration for each customer bhp instance, if needed.

Please feel free to get back to me with any questions, ideas or feedback.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated. :-)

with best regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Spierling
Junior Network Engineer

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.de-cix.net
Phone +49 69 1730902 85 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 | daniel.spierling at de-cix.net
Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa | Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135