[ixpmanager] IXPmanager and route server

Thorleif Wiik [BCIX] thorleif.wiik at bcix.de
Mon Aug 10 16:16:15 IST 2015

Hi Ajai , all,

> - if you're running more than ~30 ixp participants at any particular
> exchange, you should run the sflow collector box on separate hardware.  We
> have noticed that the default freebsd filesystem performance is
> significantly faster than default linux ext3 for handling lots of rrd files.

At BCIX, we run the sflow collector on the same box as the rest of the IXP
Manager installation.
We run all  IXP Manager components (MRTG, SFLOW ..) except the route
servers on the same
bare metal installation with Ubuntu LTS.

Regarding handling of the rrd files mentioned by Nick , we placed them on a
separate pair of server SSDs.
We used the hardware raid by the server (HP DL360p Gen8 with one Intel(R)
Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620)
to create a RAID1 for data protection and ext4 FS on top.

With a pair of 80GB Intel SSD-DC-S3500 (which is quite a while on the
market)
(
http://ark.intel.com/products/74949/Intel-SSD-DC-S3500-Series-80GB-2_5in-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC
)
we have plenty of I/O performance and currently have around 63 peers with
84 peering ports and around 23.000 rrd files
on the SSDs.
We have no performance issues with this setting.

Regards, Thorleif
--
Thorleif Wiik, CTO
thorleif.wiik at bcix.de