[ixpmanager] route server template/32bit ASNs

Stefan Kaltenbrunner stefan at kaltenbrunner.cc
Thu Aug 6 14:13:58 IST 2015

On 08/06/2015 03:03 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Hi Stefan,

Hi Nick!

> 1. static mapping doesn't scale

I agree there but for our usecase we probably dont need that level of
scaling for the forseeable future...

> 3. INEX did some models based on this a couple of years ago and decided
> that it wouldn't work

could you elaborate on "wouldn't work"? if it works for AMS-IX
(disclaimer: I only read their docs so far and talked to some active
users of the feature there) - it should work for most IXPs...

> 2. is potentially interesting but is limited by the fact that not all
> routers support draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype, and many
> only support a small number of fixed types of extended community.  This
> means that interoperability is a problem.

hmm - I dont assume there is some sort of list available on who does and
who does not?

> There are no good solutions to this problem at the moment.  INEX advises
> route server users to use ASN16s, but that can mean renumbering ASNs.

yeah - we are talking a small IXP starting up here that has a large
number of "first IXP we are connected" participants with ASN32 on one
side (and having to renumber would be way too much work for them) and a
number of fairly large ISPs that need that kind of control because of
downstream agreements with some of the participants.

thanks for the insight though & regards

Stefan