[ixpmanager] route server template/32bit ASNs

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Aug 6 14:03:25 IST 2015

Hi Stefan,

1. static mapping doesn't scale

3. INEX did some models based on this a couple of years ago and decided
that it wouldn't work

2. is potentially interesting but is limited by the fact that not all
routers support draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype, and many
only support a small number of fixed types of extended community.  This
means that interoperability is a problem.

There are no good solutions to this problem at the moment.  INEX advises
route server users to use ASN16s, but that can mean renumbering ASNs.

Nick