[ixpmanager] SFLOW Under Reporting?

Ian Chilton ian at lonap.net
Mon Jun 26 09:50:38 IST 2023

Hi Nick,

TPS is 0 for a while and then spikes up.... as high as ~40,000 -
obviously when it's doing the flush.

I do have graphs of iops, which I think is the same thing. It's odd,
because nothing looks saturated/struggling.

It does seem to be hitting some kind of limit within the VM though, as I
have since tested it on bare metal and it's noticeably better.... and
the graph smoother now I compare them, which would intimate it's not
struggling. I tried to change some I/O related tweaks on the VM, but it
didn't seem to help.

Flush is taking ~15s on bare metal, down from ~30s on the VM.

Right now we're doing 667G exchange traffic with MRTG, 280G with the
original sflow setup, 317G with the new VM (+subinterfaces fix) and 468G
on bare metal. So still a long way under actual interface traffic, but a
lot better.

The filesystem (XFS) is mounted with noatime,nodiratime.

Do you run in a VM or on bare metal? - what specs?

Have you played with the flush and threads options on rrdcached, or do
you just run with the defaults?

Interestingly, if I increase the number of threads from 4 to 8, the
flush time goes up to ~60s. I guess that makes sense if the VM is I/O
bound, but I would have thought it would be better in hardware, allowing
the script to offload it quicker, where it then gets written to disk in
the background. The flush time & jitter seems to make no notable
difference.

Thanks,

Ian