[ixpmanager] SFLOW Under Reporting?

Ian Chilton ian at lonap.net
Thu Jun 22 16:26:51 IST 2023

Hi André,

Thank you for replying!

Comments below.

On 2023-06-22 14:32, André Grüneberg wrote:

> Are you by any chance using vlan translation or L2 sub-interfaces (with
> non default VLAN IDs) on your Arista gear?

We have just started using L2 sub-interfaces in the last few months and
it seems this has been a problem for longer for this.

We're aware that traffic on sub-interfaces won't be counted, but that
only accounts for a fraction of the discrepancy we are seeing.

In addition, the member who was reporting inconsistency with their ports
and their peers are not using sub-interfaces so that's not a factor
there.

> In these cases the sFlow packets contain the VLAN ID on the wire and
> will not be matched into the right buckets.
> We "enhanced" the sflow collector script with some hack to map the VLAN
> ID. [I may go into details]

As I say, a different problem, but one that's on my list to fix so would
be interested in what you did here.

Presumably it's just a case of extracting VLAN -> VLAN mappings of
subinterfaces and substituting that in sflow data as it's processed?

> As far as I can see, you also offer private VLANs. These may also
> account for some discrepancy between peering VLAN and overall traffic.
> Unfortunately the private VLAN sFlow statistics are not (correctly)
> exposed in P2P.

Again, not a factor with this member, but am interested if you've done
any work to resolve?

> Besides those common issues, it also took us some effort to validate
> that all peers are being counted "correctly".

Interested to hear more about how you did this? - and did you have to
make any further changes to anything?

> We believe that our results (https://www.bcix.de/ixp/statistics/vlan)
> are very close to reality.

Interesting! - so right now you're doing 507Gbps according to MRTG and
showing 349G (v4) + 72G (v6) = 421G with sflow.

Are you using Arista too? - what sample rate?

I have just found another smoking gun - when running
sflow-to-rrd-handler with debug mode, I see a lot of dropped/rejected
flows. Some (most?) of these seem to be sub-interfaces, but it turns out
that some MACs are not in the discovered macs table, so I need to
investigate that further, but now we are using MAC ACLs, we'd probably
be better switching to configured macs.

Thanks,

Ian