[ixpmanager] MRTG graphs: what is included in overall peering graphs?

André Grüneberg andre.grueneberg at bcix.de
Wed Aug 2 13:39:01 IST 2023

Hi Michel,

MRTG counts all switch(!) ports marked as "Peering" into the overall
peering graph.

André

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 at 12:19, Michel Lanners via ixpmanager <
ixpmanager at inex.ie> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Before completing our “special” config for members coming in from remote
> IXPs, but through a single L2 port on a single VLAN, I’d like to understand
> which ports are counted in the overall peering graphs. We use the
> workaround of “virtual” fanout switches to connect individual remote
> members each to their own port, to circumvent the one port - one member
> rule. But of course our “virtual” fanout switches cannot be polled for
> traffic counters.
>

>    - member status has to be “normal”
>    - member type: “full” and “pro bono” are certainly counted;
>    “associate” is not expected to have a port, and what about “internal”?
>    - for the remote members we started to use the reseller functionality
>    (which may or may not be a good idea). How are the ports involved in
>    resellers counted:
>       - the reseller may have regular peering ports - I expect them to be
>       counted
>       - the reseller should have reseller uplink port(s) - are they
>       counted in the totals?
>       - I have a hard time understanding and configuring the fanout ports
>       - the doc talks about linking them to peering ports - but which peering
>       ports? How can I make sure the resold members are counted in the graphs?
>

> If in the end the reseller functionality is of no help, but rather
> complicates things, I might as well remove it - it was an attempt to make
> it obvious that the remote members from one remote IX somehow belong
> together behind a certain remote link, comparable to resold members behind
> a reseller uplink port.
>
> Thanks and cheers
>
> Michel
>
> *Michel LANNERS*
> CIO at LU-CIX Management G.I.E.
> --
> Mail: michel.lanners at lu-cix.lu
> Phone: (+352) 28 99 29 92-81
>
> LU-CIX Management G.I.E.
> 202, Z.A.E. Wolser F
> L-3290 Bettembourg
> lu-cix.lu <https://www.lu-cix.lu>
> luxembourg-internet-days.com
> lunog.lu <https://www.lunog.lu>

André Grüneberg, Managing Director
andre.grueneberg at bcix.de
+49 30 2332195 42

BCIX Management GmbH
Albrechtstr. 110
12103 Berlin
Germany

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jens Lietzmann, André Grüneberg
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 143581 B