[ixpmanager] Procedure to change/delete port without loosing historical graphs

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Sat Apr 29 07:55:53 IST 2023

Hi Mauricio,

mrtg graphs are linked to the "virtual" elements of a member's port in
IXP Manager which means they are decoupled from any specific piece of
hardware. What I mean by that is:

- for a port, it's the physicalinterface.id and not a specific switch
port - the physicalinterface object has a 1:1 relationship with
switchports which can be changed.

- for a lag, it's the virtualinterface.id and not a specific bond /
PortChannel on a switch. virtualinterfaces have a 1:n relationship with
physicalinterfaces.

See https://docs.ixpmanager.org/usage/interfaces/ for a diagram and more
info.

If you are upgrading a member which requires a switch port change, the
procedure would be to edit the physical interface object in IXP Manager.
I know you sometimes need to create a new interface in IXP manager for
this so you can handle things like quarantine or other pre-migration
checks. The inclination might be to delete the old interface and move
the new one to production. What you should in fact do is delete the new
temporary once and edit the old one.

If you do it like this, you'll preserve the historical data and LAG
ports will "just continue" as they were graphing.

If you run into some edge case where this isn't possible, you'll need to
manually work with the mrtg log/rrd files to copy data points over. On
every graph there's a 'Backend Info' button on the top right when you're
an admin which includes the 'Data File Path' which tells you what source
file is used for that specific graph.

Hope that helps! Maybe let me know if it does or if it needs further
clarification and we can add it to the docs.

  - Barry

> Mauricio Oviedo via ixpmanager <mailto:ixpmanager at inex.ie>
> 29 April 2023 at 00:06
>
> Hi,
>
> What would be the recommended procedure to “free” a port that was
> previously used by a member (migrated i.e. from 10G port to 40G port),
> without loosing the historical MRTG graphs?
>
> On the other hand, when trying to delete the port from the old member,
> the following error is appearing:
>
> 500
>
> Server Error :: Undefined array key "HTTP_REFERER"
>
> IXP Manager V6.3.0
>
> Please advise, thanks,
>
> Mauricio

INEX Operations