[ixpmanager] pointers in getting sflow up

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Apr 19 10:32:03 IST 2022

Paul Emmons via ixpmanager wrote on 18/04/2022 21:31:
> Chris - That probably should be a warning in the docs. Fortunately my
> cpus rarely go over 0.75%

there are two issues here: the first is SP CPU utilisation; the second
is the hardware rate limiter which restricts the number of sflow samples
punted from the switch asic to the SP.  You can get hit by either.

> Nick - I'm down to about 18 1g connections in all of our markets. Unless
> there is an small switch with them hanging off of the default sample is
> 8192.  I do have an old 7050S with 16384 with 8 1g ports and a few BiDis
> and dwdms.  Hopefully that box will get replaced soon.

1:16384 is probably too low a sampling rate for 1G ports, particularly
if they're running at low bit rates.