[ixpmanager] Composer / PHP Woes during IXP Manager Update

Ian Chilton ian at lonap.net
Mon Nov 15 11:45:52 GMT 2021

Hi,

On 15 Nov 2021, at 11:04, Barry O'Donovan (INEX) wrote:
> I recommend pulling an up-to-date one. Also IXP Manager v6 requires v2
> as part of the installation instructions:
> https://docs.ixpmanager.org/install/manually/#dependencies

Hmm, I guess that’s changed since I built our deployment!

I’ll update our deployment to pull the latest.

I see you’ve got composer.phar in .gitignore, so it can go in
/srv/ixpmanager without a problem.

>> Any ideas what’s going on with the PHP PPA and why it appears to
>> have half transitioned to PHP 8.1?
> This is a bit of a headache actually.
> Many people have php-xxx packages installed and these will end up
> installing the latest version of them, e.g. php8.1-xxx.
> If you do a 'dpkg -l | grep php-', identify them, remove them and
> their 8.1 counterpart and then specifically install the php8.0 version
> you should be fine.

Actually, I see what’s happened now!

Looking at the list of packages for which I have an 8.1 version
installed, most of them are specified in the deployment as ‘php-xxx’
instead of ‘php8.0-xxx’. (The other few are presumably dependencies
of those, eg: php8.1-common).

This must have been historic and when I converted from ubuntu stock PHP
to the PPA for the 6.x update, it must have worked fine because the
latest was 8.0 anyway. At some point recently, those package aliases
must have changed to point to 8.1 versions, so when I did the
dist-upgrade, it’s installed the 8.1 versions.

Thankfully our production box hasn’t got those, just the development
machine, so this is an easy fix after all!

Thanks,

Ian