[ixpmanager] EuroIX and PeeringDB exporters

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Thu Jul 22 23:03:14 IST 2021

Hi all

On 22.07.2021 21:26, Pim van Pelt wrote:

> I was wondering if other folks in the community have advice for me. On
> my internet exchange, when setting new physical member ports, they
> typically start out as 'Awaiting X-Connect', until they move to
> 'Quarantine' and then to 'Connected'. I noticed that in the IX-F
> exporter, every state not 'Connected' means there is no entry at all for
> that member port. Often, new members will put their own assignment on
> their peeringdb page, often leaving the 'operational' checkbox unticked,
> to signal that they are in turnup.
>
> However, the PeeringDB importer [0] does not align with these semantics.
> It will assume a member is in turnup if-and-only-if their port is marked
> 'inactive' in the IX-F feed. As a result, it triggers import warnings
> about members who have their port misconfigured.
>
> Is it desirable to match the semantics in IXPManager (which I think
> means: all ports not in 'connected' state get exported in the IX-F feed
> but with state: inactive),
>  AND/OR
> Is it preferable to change the semantics in PeeringDB (which I think
> might mean: do not trigger a warning if the member has a 'not
> operational' port set up, if it is missing in IX-F feed)
>  OR
> Is there another way for us to solve this issue with a mismatch on
> turning up members on the exchange ?
>
> I thought I'd gather some info from other operators before I attempt to
> file a github request (and/or send a PR for either IXPManager or
> PeeringDB, both, or neither) :-)

IX-F JSON actually has little to do with IXP Manager. However, it's true
that with IXP Manager you get the IX-F JSON for free.

Unfortunately, there are no standard values for the status field. From
my pov it would be nice if IXP Manager gives me the flexibility to set
the status field to e.g. match my requirements for PeeringDB.

Cheers
Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH
Lindleystraße 12 | 60314 Frankfurt a.M. | Germany
Phone +49 69 1730902 22 | Mobile +49 172 2650958
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | www.de-cix.net
Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa and Sebastian Seifert
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135

Want to work at DE-CIX: https://de-cix.net/en/about-de-cix/careers