[ixpmanager] DoS Attack of IXP Manager Looking Glass

Rob Lister rob at lonap.net
Tue Jan 19 12:40:18 GMT 2021

Thanks Barry,

I've added to robots.txt:

Disallow: /index.php/lg/

/lg/ was already there.

So if this script respects robots.txt or not remains to be seen. There
are few automated queries running against it, but not to the extent that
it hammers the server.

 From what we can tell, it seems to be someone coming in from a ToR exit
node or VPN
endpoint. It comes from within the same member network and just runs a
ton of queries
to download all the prefixes for the same ASN. I've no objection to
reasonable usage
- the requests themselves seem small, but doing a lot of queries with 10
simultaneous connections causing issues.

Seems to run every few weeks, we block it, then they come back from a
different IP.
We've contacted the member concerned to see if they can find out what's
going on.

The birdseye API itself is not externally visible, but only what's
accessible from
IXP Manager portal.

If it happens again then we'll look into limiting the number of
simultaneous
connections from each IP with apache for this URL.

Rob

--
Rob Lister
rob at lonap.net