[ixpmanager] Advice me please

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Sun Sep 6 10:57:26 IST 2020

Hi Basil,

At INEX, we split services over different VMs to keep them as separate
as possible.  This means we can perform maintenance on individual
components relatively easily without affecting other components.
Currently we have the following configured:

1. database VM
2. ixpmanager web front-end VM
3. monitoring VM (mrtg / nagios)
4. sflow VM
5. 2x rpki VMs
6. route collector VM
7. as112 server vm

We run route servers on different physical servers. They're kept
separate (different hardware, different hypervisor, not attached to the
orchestration system) because they're categorised as critical production
servers, i.e. if they go down, production IXP traffic may be affected.

It doesn't really matter what hypervisor software you use.  We've used
ESXi, Xencenter and XCP-ng and they all work fine.  Our current
preference is for XCP-ng because it provides live migration of VMs on
local disk storage without a license (XC and ESXi both need a license
for this).

It would be a good idea to use two physically identical servers for the
hypervisor, so that you can use services like VM migration and
live-migration.  For disk storage, we'd recommend RAID with battery
backup, so that you can add or replace physically failed disks easily.

One thing that does matter is disk I/O on the sflow server - if you have
anything more than about 30 IXP participants, then you need SSD to
handle the iops.

Nick