[ixpmanager] IRRDB filtering with LACNIC's IRR

Ryan Woolley rwoolley at communityix.org
Wed Oct 28 14:21:27 GMT 2020

Hi folks,

We're currently trying to turn up a new member whose IRR record is with
LACNIC.

LACNIC's IRR, unlike most others, is not mirrored into RADB.  (It is also
at irr.lacnic.net rather than whois.lacnic.net.)

I have an IRRDB Source called "LACNIC" configured and pointing to
irr.lacnic.net.  The member's IRRDB is set to "LACNIC" and the AS-SET is
set to "AS52376:AS-RCN".

Attempting "Update Prefixes" yields this error:
500 | Server Error :: Error executing BGPQ3 with: /usr/bin/bgpq3 -S
'LACNIC' -l pl -j -m 24 'AS52376:AS-RCN'

Running this from the command line confirms that bgpq3 is generating the
error:rwoolley at ixpm:/srv/ixpmanager/app/Utils$ /usr/bin/bgpq3 -S 'LACNIC'
-l pl -j -m 24 'AS52376:AS-RCN'
ERROR:Invalid source(s) 'LACNIC': F source(s) unavailable

After digging into the documentation, it appears that BGPQ3 uses RADB
unless another host is specified with -h, and -S just causes the query to
RADB to be limited to records imported from LACNIC (of which there are
none).

Usage: bgpq3 [-h host] [-S sources] [-P|E|G <num>|f <num>] [-2346AbDJjXd]
[-R len] <OBJECTS>...
 [...]
 -h host   : host running IRRD software (whois.radb.net by default)
 [...]
 -S sources: use only specified sources (default: RADB,RIPE,APNIC)

In looking at the code at app/Utils/Bgpq3.php, it appears that a variable
called $whois is used to set an alternate host for bgpq3:
        if( $this->whois )
            $cmd = '-h ' . escapeshellarg( $this->whois ) . ' ' . $cmd;

I am not familiar enough with the code to follow this back to the source,
but I would expect that $whois would be set from the hostname configured
under IRRDB Sources, thus causing the command line to include -h
irr.lacnic.net.  Unfortunately, that is not happening.

Is there another place that this needs to be set?

For now, I've worked around this by adding to Bgpq3.php:
        if ($sources = "LACNIC") {
                $this->whois = "irr.lacnic.net";
        }

And that causes the import to work as expected.

This is v5.7.0 running on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.

Thanks,
Ryan Woolley
Community IX (FL-IX and CIX-ATL)