[ixpmanager] BGP communities in Route Server

Salvador Bertenbreiter salvador at pitperu.net
Thu Aug 27 16:04:56 IST 2020

Hi guys,
I hope you all are doing well and staying safe. A member asked me for the
BGP communities of our IXP and I'm not sure the ones we have, I checked the
BIRD configuration (which is generated by IXP Manager) but I'm not sure if
I get them correctly.

I checked INEX's Route server Communities list and I assumed that replacing
AS 43760 with our ASN should work, right?

Our Route Server ASN is 64115, so should the supported BGP communities be
the following?

Standard communities
Description
Community
Prevent announcement of a prefix to a peer       0:peer-as
Announce a route to a certain peer                     64115:peer-as
Prevent announcement of a prefix to all peers    0:64115
Announce a route to all peers                             64115:64115

BGP Large communities
Description
Community
Prevent announcement of a prefix to a peer       64115:0:peer-as
Announce a route to a certain peer                     64115:1:peer-as
Prevent announcement of a prefix to all peers    64115:0:0
Announce a route to all peers                             64115:1:0

BGP Large communities for prepending
Description
Community
Prepend to peer AS once                                    64115:101:peer-as
Prepend to peer AS twice                                   64115:102:peer-as
Prepend to peer AS three times                          64115:103:peer-as

If those won't work, is there a section to declare the allowed communities
in IXP Manager?

Thank you for your help :)

Best regards,

Salvador