[ixpmanager] route server graceful shutdown / maintenance procedure

Moritz Frenzel denog at hackathon.de
Tue Apr 14 18:53:01 IST 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 7:09 PM Nick Hilliard (INEX) <nick at inex.ie> wrote:

> Moritz Frenzel wrote on 14/04/2020 17:55:
> > How are you handling this in your existing setups
> That works fine.  As long as you have multiple route servers in
> operation at any one time, it's not service affecting to take one out of
> service for maintenance.

thanks! Of course we're running 2 route servers, so it shouldn't be a
problem as long as we shut down the session beforehand.
> > Is there a reason why IXPManger hasn't implemented graceful shutdown
> > community as outlined in RFC8326. I've discovered Issue #302 as well
>
> There's an issue here about intent.  G/S does not help the RS operator
> in terms of signaling loss of service for the RS itself.  It's only
> relevant when one RS client wants to signal to another that they're
> planning maintenance.
OK, am I correct in assuming that if a route tagged with 65535:0 would
arrive at the rs it would be passed through to all other RS
peers(obviously honoring other control communities)? Do I need to
enable RFC1977-passthru for that?

Moritz