[ixpmanager] route server graceful shutdown / maintenance procedure

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Tue Apr 14 18:09:56 IST 2020

Moritz Frenzel wrote on 14/04/2020 17:55:
> How are you handling this in your existing setups when you do
> maintenance on the route servers? Do you just announce a maintenance
> window and shutdown the bgp sessions?

That works fine.  As long as you have multiple route servers in
operation at any one time, it's not service affecting to take one out of
service for maintenance.

> Is there a reason why IXPManger hasn't implemented graceful shutdown
> community as outlined in RFC8326. I've discovered Issue #302 as well

There's an issue here about intent.  G/S does not help the RS operator
in terms of signaling loss of service for the RS itself.  It's only
relevant when one RS client wants to signal to another that they're
planning maintenance.