[ixpmanager] LG API for Juniper/Junos

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Sat Apr 11 15:53:23 IST 2020

Hi Tomek,

Tomasz Szewczyk wrote on 10/04/2020 09:29:
> I'd like to use IXP Manager with Juniper/Junos baser Route Server. Could
> you give me some hints about IXP manager requirements for API type
> "Other" or what are requirements of IXP manager related to API answers?

Thanks for your interest in this.

Route server configuration generation is fairly complex as it involves a
lot of components. Fortunately, for adding a new route server, much of
this is done including:

- customer and connection details
- IRRDB AS and prefix lists
- filtering preferences

The way in which IXP Manager generates route server config is entirely
integrated into many other IXP Manager features including:

- looking glass (multiple diffferent features)
- monitoring (Nagios for example)
- API
- member community filtering preferences via UI (not released yet)

We do still plan to look at OpenBGPd during 2020 as an equal-class
alternative to Bird. This would mean updating the Birdseye looking glass
also to parse OpenBGPd output and provide programmatic access to it via
an API. It's a big job.

We previously looked at JunOS with one of Juniper's BGP experts but it
was quite difficult and complex to configure it up as a multi-RIB route
server.

To you specific question - the only looking glass / API that is
currently supported by IXP Manager is Birdseye. We created this
specifically for Bird for IXP Manager's use but more generically so that
it could be used separately:

https://github.com/inex/birdseye

Any API that can be programmed to this interface should be fine:

https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/blob/master/app/Contracts/LookingGlass.php

But if you plan to do this, please talk to me in detail as we should
review the API calls, formatting, etc. in respect to other daemons -
JunOS, OpenBGPd, GoBGP, etc.

Thanks,
  - Barry