[ixpmanager] Route Server Installation

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Apr 2 21:02:43 IST 2020

Fabiano D'Agostino wrote on 02/04/2020 20:51:
> but how does IXP Manager decide route server client import/export policies?

I think it would be useful to get the terminology correct here. IXP
Manager generates Bird configuration. Bird, the BGP daemon, makes the
routing decisions.

The IXP Manager template for route servers, by default, will:

- import appropriate routes from a member (standard sanity checking,
IRRDB entries and RPKI - the video I linked and the presentation Nick
linked both explain how this works).

- export all routes accepted from other peers - so:

> template bgp tb_rsclient {
>      something..
>      ipv4 {
>            export all;
>      }
> }
> but I have:
> protocol bgp from tb_rsclient {
>      ipv4 {
>            import filter f_import;
>            export filter f_export (does this override the export all in
> the template?)
>     }
> }

Yes, this does override 'export all'. This is Bird behavior and there's
an example at the end of this page:

https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-3.html#ss3.4

The main thing is that the standard export filter function just strips
out any communities that IXP Manger's Bird configuration added to routes
as it learnt them from other peers. Again, this is explained in both the
video and presentation. Once those communities are stripped, it's still
an 'export all' by default.

Individual members may use the standard IX BGP communities to control
advertisement of their prefixes to other members. See INEX's examples in
the 'Community based prefix filtering' section on this page:

https://www.inex.ie/technical/route-servers/

This is baked in as standard - just swap our ASN (43760) for your own.

  - Barry