[ixpmanager] some questions re: IXP 5

Athanasios Douitsis aduitsis at noc.ntua.gr
Thu Oct 31 09:57:36 GMT 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 01:21:44AM +0000, Barry O'Donovan wrote:

> Hi Athanasios,
>
> Athanasios Douitsis wrote on 30/10/2019 14:32:>>>>
> - We have setup the latest BirdsEye in our route servers and have

> > > Yes, thank you.
> >
> > As regards the above problem, I've been able to find the problem, but I
> > had to read the code. The problem is in
> >
> > app/Jobs/FetchFilteredPrefixesForCustomer.php
> >
> > where, in line 116, the form of the name of the protocol is hardcoded to
> > what INEX uses. Naturally, in GR-IX we use different names (indeed our
> > entire Bird configuration is considerably different than the example in
> > IXP Manager)
>
> Ah, well, I'm afraid that was never going to work then :-(
>
> This tool - as well as many others in the IXP Manager / IXP Manager route
> server configuration system are tightly coupled.
>
> We would encourage IXP Manager users to use the IXP Manager route server
> configuration in so far as possible. I would also be interested to learn why
> you're not using it and what you've done differently to see if we can
> improve what we ship with.
>
> > Worse still, some form of caching may be involved, which I have
> > been able to circumvent by invoking the artisan router:filtered-prefixes
> > command via the cli.
>
> There is definitely caching involved here and for two reasons:
>
> 1. to rate limit the number of queries end users can direct to the Bird
> daemons. For larger route server peers, these look ups can be expensive.
>
> 2. Again, for larger users, we have to ensure the web request doesn't time
> out. So the job of getting the prefixes can be queued, the results cached
> and the user asked to check back in 'x mins' to get the results.
>
>  - Barry

Okay, thanks. I have a question then. My route servers show a rather old
last_update and I am not able to convince IXP5 to queue the jobs to
refresh them. What is the command that must be used to accomplish that?

Using the artisan router:filtered-prefixes command to trigger the IXP5
to get the /api/routes/lc-zwild/ worked yesterday, but today (without
any change) it does not. Clearly I am missing something.

Kind regards,
Athanasios

--
Athanasios Douitsis
National Technical University of Athens NOC