[ixpmanager] some questions re: IXP 5

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Oct 31 01:25:20 GMT 2019

Athanasios Douitsis wrote on 30/10/2019 13:32:>>>
- Likewise, how is the cache table (if one chooses to use a database
>>>     cache instead of files or memcached) supposed to be created and
>>>     initialized?
>>
>> It's not supported right now. We've never used or tried it.
>
> Indeed? I enabled the database driver yesterday and it seems to be
> working. Are you saying we shouldn't use that driver? Which drivers are
> supported?

It may well work for some parts of it but there's actually two caching
mechanisms in the backend of IXP Manager: Laravel and Doctrine ORM. The
recommended and supported caching mechanism is memcahced which 'just
works' for both.

More generally, databases are designed for persistent storage rather
than temporary caching. IXP Manager isn't going to get more than a
couple concurrent requests per second so the usual database limitations
as a cache won't come into play but - as above - it's neither supported
nor recommended by us and won't work for the Doctrine side.