[ixpmanager] IXP Manager Developer Support

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Wed Jul 10 10:12:29 IST 2019

Haider Ali wrote on 10/07/2019 09:25:
> This project is for the IXP at Islamabad, Pakistan. They do many things
> manually. We have the funding to make that IXP the software-defined
> exchange point.

before you go down the road of implementing an SDN based IXP, you should
have a clear understanding of what you mean by SDN (it means wildly
different things to different people), what set of problems you're going
to solve by implementing SDN and - most difficult of all - what set of
problems your particular choice of technology is going to create, and
how these problems compare against the problems you would run into with
other bridging mechanisms (e.g. STP, VXLAN, VPLS, etc).

If your ultimate intention is to build an IXP which is partially or
fully automated then it would be important to understand what you plan
to automate.  Things that you might want to automate could include:
switch configs, ZTP, monitoring and alarming configs, measurement
configuration, integration with primary web site, provisioning
customers, deprovisioning customers, implementation of route servers,
quarantine systems, integration with billing systems / middleware and a
large pile of other things besides.

It would be important to note that your choice of network building
blocks / bridging mechanism at the IXP would only be a small part of
this set of choices, and not even the most important part.

For reference, there are very few IXPs which have automated their
processes to the point that they program MAC addresses on a per-port
basis. This isn't a statement of whether this is a good or a bad thing
to do: it's just an observation that of all the things that are
important for running a successful IXP, programming MAC addresses on
individual switch ports is quite far down the priority list.