[ixpmanager] How is consistency maintained between the information in IXP manager and the switch configurations?

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Mon Aug 19 21:25:22 IST 2019

Haider,

With some effort, you can get IXP Manager to interact with Arista or
Cumulus switches.  INEX does this to the point that the effort required
in making this work is less than the effort required to maintain good
quality manual configurations on each of our switches.

What this means in practice is that it takes a lot of effort to make
automation work, but the benefit of this automation can be worth the
effort in some circumstances.

Given some more effort, it would be possible to use IXP Manager data to
configure other switch types.  If you're talking about a traditional
switch vendor with a traditional switch network operating system (NOS),
and where the switch vendor has good support for automation, then that
effort might not be very large.  If the switch vendor doesn't provide
good support for automation (e.g. many traditional NOS's) or the
configuration mechanism is much more complicated (e.g. openflow), then
this may be a good deal more difficult or even impossible to do properly.

In INEX's case, we also use vendor NOS's other than Arista EOS and
Cumulus Linux, but have made a conscious decision not to automate these
platforms because the effort required to make them work properly will
not return enough value to make it worth our while.

All of this is the traditional engineering conundrum of balancing effort
and return.

IXP Manager exports the data required to configure switches via
vendor-neutral APIs.  At INEX, we happen to use SaltStack and NAPALM,
but there is no reason you couldn't use another automation stack which
can consume either JSON or YAML.  E.g. I'm sure Ansible would work fine
and Ansible is a very high quality automation tool, but we happen to
prefer SaltStack.

In general, our advice on automation is that IXP Manager provides a
baseline abstraction layer which allows the operator to create their own
tools to configure their network devices.  However before you set out to
do anything, you will need a very clear and detailed understanding about
how all the individual components work, along with a full overview of
how IXPs work in general, and several years experience of operating IXPs
at an architectural level. If you don't have all these things, then you
are likely to run into serious problems which will cause your attempts
to automate an IXP platform to fail.  In other words, this is not
something that INEX can casually help out with a script here or there -
this is advanced level IXP operations and only a tiny handful of IXPs
around the world use automation in this way.

Nick