[ixpmanager] How is consistency maintained between the information in IXP manager and the switch configurations?

Haider Ali haiderrana45 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 14:53:51 IST 2019

Dear Community,
                          Thanks for always helping the smooth process of
deployment of IXP manager in Islamabad IXP, Pakistan.

I have a question about connection between switch and IXP manager.
How is consistency maintained between the information in IXP manager and
the switch configurations?

If I change the configurations in switch like no of VLANs, subnet mask, IP
addresses etc. How will the IXP manager come to know about that change?
Will the IXP operator manually configure this change in IXP manager again
so that customers can see the actual configuration of switch? In other
words, How will the consistency be maintained between switch and IXP
manager? If operator will take care of consistency between switch and IXP
manager then, the IXP manager is solely the information portal in all
respects.

If there is consistency between switch and IXP manager then:
I was thinking that IXP manager should give error if there is inconsistency
between what is entered by admin of IXP manager and what is present in
configurations of switch. Will it give error? I have tried changing the
subnet mask in switch configurations. IXP manager doesnt give any error.
There is a follow-up question:
 That, Can we configure our switch from the front end provided by IXP
manager? That is: If we want to add VLANs etc then can it be possible? As
far as I know, we can add VLANs for information purposes, not for the
purpose of configuration in switch.

Sincerely,
Haider Ali