[ixpmanager] Question about Reseller ports in IXP manager

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Fri Nov 16 11:07:33 GMT 2018

Hi Teodor,

Teodor Haralambiev wrote on 16/11/2018 06:50:
> I need your kindly help regarding adding Resellers and their customers.

There is some documentation here:

https://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/reseller/

> We are using Shared port model for Resellers which means that I have
> 1x100Gig Physical interface with our Reseller and all cus members are
> transported with different (unique VLANs).
>
> Unfortunately I didn't found any way how to add them in IXP manager.
>
> Maybe there isn't such functionality at all.

There isn't currently.

Mostly because we (at INEX) have not had sufficient reseller ports or
suitable kit to implement resellers in this way.

Note that suitable kit means it needs to support features such as l2
acls, sflow, snmp, etc on the 'virtual' interface. I.e. we need feature
parity to a physical port (or suitable alternatives).

The way we and others have handled this to date is via fanout ports
(described in the above documentation). While it doesn't scale, for
small numbers of resold ports it works fine and allows for 100% support
of all IXP Manager and IXP security features. [we and other IXs have
'fanned out and back' on the same switch for small numbers of ports also].

We haven't given up on supporting virtual interfaces and it is on a
longer term development plan.

  - Barry