[ixpmanager] Filtering a specific AS from a selection of ASes

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Jun 12 14:33:50 IST 2018

On 12 Jun 2018, at 15:23, Diarmuid O Briain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering with IXP Manager what is the best way to filtering a
> specific AS from a selection of ASes. i.e. the selection of ASes are
> not
> paying for a service that the specific AS provides at the IXP.

if this is a relationship between two peers at the IXP, then the IXP
operator should not be interfering (read: this is not your business).

what you *should* do is to provide a standardised way for *any* peer, to
elect not to send prefixes to another.  broadly speaking, this is done
using a set of BGP communities that peers may elect to tag onto their
route announcements.

that’s not something that’s specific to IXP manager though;
assuming you’re using BIRD, there are examples on the BIRD site.  many
IXPs also publish their bgp-community filtering policies.

btw, if you do not support filtering by community, and are just starting
to look at it, consider that you probably want to start by supporting
32bit ASNs  (ie.  ASNs larger than 65535).  you’ll need BIRD 1.6.3 or
1.6.4, iirc.

—n.