[ixpmanager] cookies

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Jul 19 14:09:43 IST 2018

Andreas,

IXP Manager only uses cookies for session management and authentication
(there's typically three: a session cookie for each of the older Zend
Framework component and the newer Laravel component; and a
CSRF-prevention token).

It is my understanding that these types of cookies are exempt from
consent according to the EU advisory body on data protection- WP29.

While I am most certainly not a lawyer, this is based on numerous
articles and opinions I have read from informed sources - and - more
specifically from online information sources written and managed by the
European Commission.

In other words: we're good.

  - Barry

Andreas Polyrakis wrote on 19/07/2018 13:01:
> Hello,
>
> In order to conform with the eu legislation, I believe that we need to
> add a cookie notice on our ixpmanager installation. With a quick search,
> I did not find a way to do so. That was weird in the first place,
> because many eu IXPs use IXPmanager, so I expected that there would have
> already been some demand.
>
> So my questions:
> - Do we need/do you have a cookie notice on IXPmanager? (if not, why?
> can it be covered by the main IXP site cookie policy...?)
> - If yes, how do we activate it
> - What are the cookies used by IXPmanager? I checked my browser and I
> only found PHPSESID, which I understand that tracks the logged in session.
>
> Thank you in advance,

INEX Operations