[ixpmanager] New install step by step

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Jul 16 15:12:51 IST 2018

On 16 Jul 2018, at 15:45, Vladislav Bidikov wrote:

> Hi team,
> Finally the time has come to use IXP Manager for IXP.mk…

congratulations on the IX  :-)

> I finished the install today - and found several bugs/problems...
> Also, i'm missing a step by step install meaning what needs to be
> populated in which order...
>
> The current bugs located are:
> Bad link for ip addresses:
> http://prntscr.com/k7252v

going top to bottom:
* first, you’d need to add some infrastructure - like the name of your
IX, in the infrastructure tab.
* then, you’d want to add the location of the data-centre (pretty
self-explanatory).  you’re in more than one, iirc, so you can add each
location in.
* then the rack/cabinet that you’re in, inside the data-centre at each
location.

routers+console servers are optional at this point;  you can always add
them in later.
but the IX is nothing without a switch, so this is important.  it helps
if the switch is already online, and capable of speaking snmp;  let
ixp-manager try to find that, through the management interface.  much
easier that way.  do this for all the switches.  you’ll need to check
first that your have some sample entries for switch vendors;  if you
used the install-script this should have happened automatically.

> Missing VLAN:
> http://prntscr.com/k725hm
>
> VLAN definition:
> http://prntscr.com/k725vx

the VLAN that you’d want to start with, is the initial peering VLAN on
the switches.  your VLAN definition looks ok, except, you probably
don’t want to mark that as “private” since it’s the main peering
VLAN, right?

> Any ideas on how to proceed ?

your address plan would then be tied to this VLAN;  ie. once you’ve
populated the VLAN database with, at least, one usable VLAN for peering,
you should be able to select this from the dropdown.  add in the IP
addresses that you’ll be assigning to peers.  as a bonus, the latest
version - 4.8.999 - makes it super intuitive (thanks! :-)) to add in
IPv6 addresses.

once you have defined your switches, and gotten a basic address plan up,
you can then add customers, and allocate them ports and IP addresses.
of course your provisioning process might have different things
happening (eg. putting peers into quarantine, etc) but that’s a very
simple idea for a basic workflow.  don’t forget there’s a little
work to do with MRTG to get that working, but it’s nicely written up
in the documentation, so i’d suggest reading that first.

hth,
—n.