[ixpmanager] Nagios Birdseye Daemon Monitoring Template Problem

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed Jan 24 10:35:30 GMT 2018

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Spencer wrote:
> I've downloaded the appropriate template via the API, created the
> host and service definitions as instructed by the template header,
> and installed a configuration. When I try to switch on Nagios, I get
> the following error:
>
> nagios[15732]: Error: Service check command
> 'check_birdseye_daemon!$_HOSTAPIURL$' specified in service 'Bird BGP
>  Service' for host 'bird-rs1-ddc-ipv4' not defined anywhere!
>
> It seems that the relevant Nagios check command needs to be
> established, but there's no indication in the documentation (that I
> see) about what the nature of that check command should be and
> whether or not it requires any plugins.

It's all there in the appropriate section:

http://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/nagios/#birdseye-daemon-monitoring

There is a sample host definition at the top of this section (with
"host_name               bird-rc1q-cork-ipv4").

That contains the dynamic param:

        _apiurl                 http://rc1q-ipv4.cork.inex.ie/api

This is missing and this is what Nagios seems to be complaining about.
You do not generate these host definitions yourself - as per the docs:

> You can use the IXP Manager API to get the Nagios configuration for
> all or a given VLAN using the following endpoint format:
>
> https://ixp.example.com/api/v4/nagios/birdseye-daemons

> I also note that the plugins directory
> (referenced in the docs) does not include anything related to
> Birdseye: https://github.com/barryo/nagios-plugins

That reference is from another section and the full context is:

> Hint: over the years, we at INEX have written a number of switch
> chassis check scripts and these can be found on Github at
> barryo/nagios-plugins.

i.e. not related to and no mention of Birdseye.

However, in the appropriate section re Birdseye, we state:

> The Nagios script we use is bundled with inex/birdseye and can
> be found here.

where 'here' links to:

https://github.com/inex/birdseye/tree/master/bin

I don't pretend the documentation is perfect. My own deep knowledge of
IXP Manager often makes it difficult for me to strike the right level
between 'teaching to suck eggs' and being too vague.

While all the info necessary for the above is in the docs, if they can
be made better PLEASE contribute:

http://docs.ixpmanager.org/dev/docs/

INEX Operations