[ixpmanager] AS112

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Tue Feb 27 09:12:42 GMT 2018

Diarmuid O Briain wrote:
> When setting up the "db.hostname.as112.net
> <http://db.hostname.as112.net>" file in BIND9.
>
> regarding this line
>
> "@       SOA     server.example.net <http://server.example.net>.
> admin.example.net <http://admin.example.net>. ("
>
> What should I be setting "server.example.net
> <http://server.example.net>." and "admin.example.net
> <http://admin.example.net>." ? The DNS of the IXP ? RFC7534 doesn't give
> away much on this. It simply says "the data should be edited to suit
> local circumstances". Does this setting have any impact on the servers
> operation?

As Frank mentioned, this is really outside the scope of the IXP Manager
mailing list. There's a more appropriate mailing list and more details
at https://www.as112.net/

I will add it's important to have a good understanding of DNS and
whichever DNS software you chose to use in the first instance and then
secondly the specifics of AS112 and the related RFCs before putting
anything into production. See rfc7534 section 3.1 for background
knowledge required.

AS112 is an anycast service and if you launch one at the exchange it is
likely to supersede whichever AS112 service is already available to your
members.

A higher-latency working AS112 service is better than a broken
lower-latency AS112 service.

E.g. tragically being on the end of a Virgin Media link in Dublin,
Ireland, I'm being served from Berlin:

$ dig +short txt hostname.as112.net
"See http://as112.in-berlin.de/ for local information."
"AS112 node of IN-Berlin e.V."
"Unicast IP: 217.197.83.145, 2001:67c:1400:2060::112"
"See http://as112.net/ for more information."

But it works.

> Secondly, is there a BIRD equivalent configuration for the Quagga
> configurations in RFC7534 p8,9. I would like to look at it before IXP
> Manager starts putting its configuration onto the AS112 Server.

If you have added a AS112 router to IXP Manager:

http://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/routers/
http://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/as112/

you can preview the configuration by clicking the 'document' icon to the
right of the router name in the list of routers.

It's very simple and the templates are available from:

https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/tree/master/resources/views/api/v4/router/as112/bird