[ixpmanager] BIRD Config Gen: Prefixes Not Being Exported; Strange Errors

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Tue Feb 13 12:00:47 GMT 2018

Fix the root cause:

> Yeah; well, I spend a lot of time training people how to turn it off
> because it tends to breaks IXPs in Africa where many networks don't have
> IRR objects configured

Don't assume this is a solved problem outside Africa. Big organisations
are used to this but when we turn up smaller / regional networks, part
of our provisioning process is hand-holding them to get these set up.

I would suggest you concentrate on training people to adhere to bets
practices rather than Training people how to turn it off. That is only
going to lead to routing leaks issues and do long term repetitional
damage to your area of the world.

It isn't always easy of painless. But if you get it right for ISP-A at
IXP-A then it's done for ISP-A at IXP-B. I.e. high up front cost with
long term rewards.