[ixpmanager] Peering Matrix features (was: Re: Peering Matrix)

Andreas Polyrakis apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
Tue Feb 6 08:32:55 GMT 2018

Hello Nick, all,

We, at GR-IX, are currently using a custom peering matrix tool, created
ages ago. Our peering tools is based on purely on sflow data. The
association between sflow and customers is done through a MAC address
database. A separate peering matrix is created for v4 and v6.

https://www.gr-ix.gr/peering-matrix/

We are now considering redesign it from scratch. The most important
limitations of this approach is that, due to our infrequent sampling,
some "peerings" may get missed, esp between large and small customers.
Also, as the number of customers increases, the full matrix is hard to
read; a different UI is necessary.

Quite a while ago we evaluated the ixpmanager peering matrix. If I
remember correct, we spotted the following two limitations
- it was using sflow to spot peering in control plane (bgp sessions),
rather than monitoring the data plane. On switches with high sampling
rate, such sessions would be easier to miss.
- It was assuming that all members on the route servers peer with each
other.

In our new peering matrix tool, we consider the following enhancements
(a) data-plane sflow will be used to identify baseline peerings
(b) route servers will be used to identify additional peerings, missed
by sflow, but it will need to verify that the peers actually exchange
(advertise/accept) prefixes
(c) Inspired by the RIPE country jedi tool
(http://sg-pub.ripe.net/emile/ixp-country-jedi/latest/GR/ixplans/index.html),
we would like to explore using ripe atlas to augment the peering matrix;
eg find missing peerings, find private peerings, explore routing of a
specific AS behind a member etc.
(d) augment the UI to be able to visualize such data

Coming to IXPmanager, I wonder if you have any new features on store for
the peering matrix. If yes, can you please elaborate?

In any case, we would be happy to co-operate and contribute back.

Regards,

On 06/02/18 00:51, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> IXP Manager can create a peering matrix, but support for it is very
> messy because it wasn't cleaned up properly in ixp manager v4 and has
> a bunch of ancient dependencies going back to pre-release days.
>
> This means that if you set it up now, it's going to break by the time
> that 5.0 is released.  Can you wait for a while until we've
> reimplemented the code and documented it properly?
>
> Nick
>> Carlos Saura <mailto:carlos.saura at csuc.cat>
>> 31 January 2018 at 15:44
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm from CATNIX (Internet exchange of Catalonia). I'm interested in
>> create a Peering Matrix, so I installed the IXP Manager. Once is
>> installed as I can see in this page http://docs.ixpmanager.org/ the
>> feature "Peering Matrix" doesn't appear. Is this feature available
>> yet?. In this case I would like more information about the steps to
>> create a peering Matrix.
>>

>> On the other hand, cheking the configuration I see that it's
>> necessary to introduce a vlan but in my case I send the fluxes by a
>> management vlan different from de DMZ of CATNIX. When i check in
>> dashboard doesn't recognized the ip of the interface of the server
>> that I installed the IXP Manager.
>>

>> # For some actions (e.g. peering matrix) we need to know what VLAN to
>> show by default.
>> # This is the vlan.id database entry (i.e. not the VLAN number/tag!)
>> IDENTITY_DEFAULT_VLAN=1
>>

>> If someone have more information of the steps for doing a peering
>> matrix I would be very grateful. :)
>>

>> Thank you very much,

Andreas Polyrakis
GR-IX Manager // GRNET NOC Technical Manager
GRNET - Networking Research and Education
7, Kifisias Av., 115 23, Athens
t: +30 210 7474249 | c: +30 697 2832 445 | f: +30 210 7474490

Follow us: www.grnet.gr
Twitter: @grnet_gr | Facebook: @grnet.gr
LinkedIn: grnet | YouTube: GRNET EDET