[ixpmanager] IRRDB back-end not working

Kyle Spencer kyle at stormzero.com
Mon Sep 18 14:08:59 IST 2017

I have 30 networks connected to the IXP and the artisan script says
they are all 0 prefixes. Even, for example, SEACOM:

SEACOM: [IPv4: 0 total; 0 stale; 0 new; DB updated] [IPv6: 0 total; 0
stale; 0 new; DB updated]
    Customer not a RS client or IRRDB filtered. Prefixes, if any,
wiped from database.

But if I run:

bgpq3 -h whois.radb.net -S AFRINIC -l pl -j AS37100

I get:

{ "pl": [
    { "prefix": "41.87.96.0\/19", "exact": true },
    { "prefix": "41.206.96.0\/19", "exact": true },
    { "prefix": "41.217.212.0\/22", "exact": true },
    { "prefix": "105.16.0.0\/12", "exact": true }
] }

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Barry O'Donovan <barry.odonovan at inex.ie> wrote:

> Kyle Spencer wrote:
>> The PHP Data Structure Ds\Set extension is not loaded/available.
>> Falling back to polyfill which, in extreme cases, can take ~3 hours.
>> Install the php-ds extension!
>
> If your system has the package, run:
>
> apt install php-ds
>
> for quicker processing.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I have tried to manually execute the command as outlined by the
>> documentation and that does not work properly either:
>>
>> bgpq3 -h whois.afrinic.net -S AFRINIC -l pl -j AS29032
>>
>> However, getting rid of the "-h <HOST>" and "-S <SOURCE>" command line
>> options does work:
>>
>> bgpq3 -j -l pl AS29032
>>
>> Any idea what's going wrong in the background? Where can I modify the
>> command it's using?
>
> So bgpq3 with IXP Manager is actually hard coded to use whois.radb.net
> currently no matter what the IXP Manager setting due to issues using
> some servers directly.
>
> However, it does use the correct sources.
>
> So, in your example, IXP Manager would actually run and get:
>
> $ bgpq3 -h whois.radb.net -S AFRINIC -l pl -j AS29032
> { "pl": [
> ] }
>

> In your own test, you didn't specify -h so it also defaults to
> whois.radb.net. You also didn't specify -S which actually defaults to a
> search of all databases rather than just AFRINIC which is why you get
> results.
>
> A common job body of work that INEX undertakes with most new (and
> typically smaller members) is getting them to register their routes in
> the RIPE database.
>
>  - Barry

Cell/WhatsApp/Signal: +256790884905