[ixpmanager] IRRDB back-end not working

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon Sep 18 14:03:50 IST 2017

Kyle Spencer wrote:
> The PHP Data Structure Ds\Set extension is not loaded/available.
> Falling back to polyfill which, in extreme cases, can take ~3 hours.
> Install the php-ds extension!

If your system has the package, run:

apt install php-ds

for quicker processing.

<snip>

> I have tried to manually execute the command as outlined by the
> documentation and that does not work properly either:
>
> bgpq3 -h whois.afrinic.net -S AFRINIC -l pl -j AS29032
>
> However, getting rid of the "-h <HOST>" and "-S <SOURCE>" command line
> options does work:
>
> bgpq3 -j -l pl AS29032
>
> Any idea what's going wrong in the background? Where can I modify the
> command it's using?

So bgpq3 with IXP Manager is actually hard coded to use whois.radb.net
currently no matter what the IXP Manager setting due to issues using
some servers directly.

However, it does use the correct sources.

So, in your example, IXP Manager would actually run and get:

$ bgpq3 -h whois.radb.net -S AFRINIC -l pl -j AS29032
{ "pl": [
] }

In your own test, you didn't specify -h so it also defaults to
whois.radb.net. You also didn't specify -S which actually defaults to a
search of all databases rather than just AFRINIC which is why you get
results.

A common job body of work that INEX undertakes with most new (and
typically smaller members) is getting them to register their routes in
the RIPE database.