[ixpmanager] Patch Panels

Mike Hammett ixp-manager at ics-il.net
Mon Mar 27 14:52:54 IST 2017

I expanded the help button, which created the confusion as both fields have similar descriptions. The documentation page does say that you think they should be the same, but will allow us to put something different if we choose. I'll create one and play around and see if it makes sense in the overall application to use the provided name or use a friendly name. For example, the reference created for me in 210 N. Tucker Blvd., St. Louis, MO, USA, Suite 515 is RR502.08.RU41. If the application just uses RR502.08.RU41 throughout, that means nothing to me, so I would create a friendly name to go along with it. The patch panel number in 900 Walnut St., St. Louis, MO, USA, Suite 320 is RR109.06.RU28. Nothing there either to actually say where it is.

Maybe something clearer in the help button? Just a thought, if this proves to be the case:

The name / reference for the patch panel, displayed throughout IXP Manager. Using the co-location provider's reference is probably the sanest / least confusing option, but you can use something else.

The reference the co-location provider has assigned to this patch panel. This is used in LOAs and other places, as appropriate.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange