[ixpmanager] Reseller Functionality

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Apr 13 21:15:19 IST 2017

Mike Hammett wrote:
> https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/wiki/Reseller-Functionality
>
> I had some questions about the intended use of the reseller
> functionality.
>
> Do they have any ability to create their own customers

No.

> or am I creating and entering everything into IXP Manager and they
> just get to view the related information in their panel?

Yes.

> Is the information the reseller sees about the resold customer
> limited to a list of the active customers?

Yes.

> I set "reseller.no_billing_for_resold_customers = false" in .env, but
> I didn't see any extra information on the resold customers.

 From the link you referenced:

"If your resold customers are billed directly by the reseller and not
the IXP, set this to true to remove billing details from their admin and
member areas."

In other words, this relates to the "Billing Details" section in the "My
Details" tab when a customer user is logged in.

> Not so much requesting functionality as tryign to understand what's
> supposed to be there. Well, resellers being able to add customers on
>  "their" fanout switches on their own would be nice.

The IXP manages the fanout switched. At least in our model.

Also in our model, a 'resold' member is still a fully fledged member,
they just happen to reach the exchange via someone else's network. You /
we would still have a relationship with the member independent of the
reseller and would still be required to carry out the standard turn up
(for us, this includes IP assignment, quarantine procedures, route
collector session, route server sessions if appropriate, etc.).

IXP Manager's functionality is simply to:

  - record that a reseller relationship exists
  - allow you to manage reseller and fanout ports

Barry

Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>

The Brothers WISP <http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>