[ixpmanager] Questions please :)

Stefan Kaltenbrunner stefan at kaltenbrunner.cc
Thu Oct 13 20:02:58 IST 2016

On 10/13/2016 08:38 PM, Tom Sanders wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>

> Please could you answer these technical questions our techs have asked?

I'm not barry but most of those questions do not look related to
ixpmanager at all, most seem to be rather basic questions on general IXP
related things.

> 1)      BGP for IXP - Do we need an Internet Transit connection with BGP
> to connect to the IXP/Route Server or will our IP Range from RIPE come
> via our fist connections?

I would not even recommend putting your peering LAN into the global
table - there is no need for the peering lan to be globally routed.

> 2)      I am assuming IXP Manager supports OSPF?

why should or would it?!

> 3)      Please could you confirm which protocols IXP supports?

not sure I parse that question at all

> 4)      Also how does this tie in with a Juniper setup?

well a classic IXP is a plain simple L2 Fabric (though some use pretty
complex scenarios unde rthe hood to make it look only like one) - but in
the most simple case it is a single VLAN.

> 5)      Would there be OSPF/IGP exchange/management between the
> route-server or would this ospf just be what the customer would do over
> it’s IPvX vlan?

again that question does not seem to make much sense - it seems to me
that you are trying to design something vastly different from a typical
IXP, but what exactly I dont really get(an IXP is a L2 fabric not sure
what you need an IGP for)

Stefan