[ixpmanager] Switch Port Types

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Wed Aug 19 14:20:52 IST 2015

On 18/08/2015 00:11, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Is there a port type that I can add to a customer, but won't be reflected
> in the overall IX graph? Some customers purchase additional services
> (inter-IX-market transport) on additional ports. Those are on separate
> VLANs, but still gets counted in teh over-all graph. If possible without a
> lot of manual-ness, I'd like to change that.

This is an equipment-side mess due to switch semantics.

Port counters are port counters.  When you use snmp to pull port stats off
a switch, it pulls port counters.  Some platforms allow this on a per vlan
basis if you configure up the port in a particular way, e.g. service
instances on IOS or carrier ethernet on other platforms. If you're using a
switch which doesn't separate each port vlan into its own vlan, then you're
SOL as far as port counters go because the switch won't measure the traffic.

We're looking at splitting out this traffic using sflow but that's messy
because not everyone's sflow implementation is as good as it says on the tin.