[ixpmanager] route server template/32bit ASNs

Andreas Polyrakis apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
Fri Aug 7 08:08:07 IST 2015

On 08/06/2015 04:13 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>> 3. INEX did some models based on this a couple of years ago and decided
>> that it wouldn't work
>
> could you elaborate on "wouldn't work"? if it works for AMS-IX
> (disclaimer: I only read their docs so far and talked to some active
> users of the feature there) - it should work for most IXPs...

I have a different objection on this technique:

I am not sure what amsix does now, but in the past amsix was asking the
member to describe the route-servers' policy on their own aut-num.

However, the amsix rpsl parser was unable to understand the (more
complex) rpsl policy of our own[1] -- which was there because it was
used by our own automated tools. So we had to abandon our own bgp tools
(at least for the amsix peerings) for the shake of connecting to the
amsix route servers.

IMHO the appropriate place for this would be under the RS ASN, not ours.
Of course this would mean that a UI would be necessary in order for the
members to be able to update their policy.

Regards,

[1] using REFINEs, PeerAS and other exotic features:
https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/lookup.html?source=ripe&key=AS5408&type=aut-num

Andreas Polyrakis - apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
GRNET NOC Technical Manager
Greek Research & Technology Network - http://www.grnet.gr
56, Mesogion Av., Ampelokipi, 11527 Athens, Greece
Mobile: +30 6972832445    Office: +30 2107474249   Fax: +30 2107474490