[ixpmanager] route server template/32bit ASNs

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Aug 6 23:17:50 IST 2015

On 06/08/2015 18:48, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> hmm not sure I understand the ultimate connection here, what AMS-IX does
> is using "import-via: / export-via:" from IETF draft-ietf-grow-rpsl-via-01.
> From a pure route server perspective using that kind approach seems
> fairly elegant to me - handles ASN32 and gives members wanting to use it
> very fine-grained control.

it works if it's maintained properly.  The point of the two tables was that
most organisations don't maintain their irrdb information sufficiently well
that you could actually use it for production policy route management.

> yeah I fully agree - but I also assume that for a large percentage of
> the small ISPs we are currently talking to that wont be an issue they
> care about atm, yet it is a "problem" for IXP because it makes some of
> the larger players relucant to peer with the routeserver.

Larger players often don't peer with route servers anyway.  Route servers
serve a low to mid market provider range but are often unsuitable outside
that for various reasons, one of which is transit provision.  This isn't
necessarily a problem - it's just part of the peering ecosystem which takes
a while to build up and stabilise.