[ixpmanager] peering matrix and memcached

Rowan Thorpe rowan at rowanthorpe.com
Mon Nov 24 21:10:56 GMT 2014

On 24 November 2014 at 20:07, Nick Hilliard <nick at inex.ie> wrote:
> ..[snip]..
> Looks like you can add things into /etc/rc.local on ubuntu:
>
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/9382/how-can-i-configure-a-service-to-run-at-startup
>
> It would be helpful if sflowtool were packagised on ubuntu, but it looks
> like Rowan's PR wasn't accepted.

Long ago I packaged a version and uploaded to Debian Mentors, posted
on the debian-devel mailing list, updated packaging to track three
upstream version-bumps (and quite a few of the patches I made on it
ended up in upstream sflowtool too), but alas no Debian Developers
showed any interest in helping actually get it into Debian, so at some
point I gave up trying to keep it there. The irony is I suspect it is
because of sflowtool's non-standard license, but I had already
discussed with sflowtool's author and he suggested there was a good
chance their company would be open to changing license to a more
standard one (which they'd already done with another app of theirs
which got into Debian).

> On 24/11/2014 16:38, Brian Thompson wrote:
>> Nick,
>>
>> Would it be possible to get a copy of your script you wrote?  It seems this
>> is a common issue with Install IXP.  Might be nice to mention this
>> dependency on one of the three pages.

I included in my packaging a "debian-compliant" init script for
starting fanout sflowtool(s) based on vals in
/etc/default/sflowtool-forwarder. If interested I could dig it out of
my archives. It should be pretty easy to tweak the packaging for the
latest sflowtool version now - not much changes externally with it.
Systemd/etc is another story though...

I made an ixpm-sflow-to-rrd bundle too, which made Debian/Ubuntu sflow
setup a one-liner for ixpm. Could dig that out too if there's an
interest.

--
Rowan Thorpe
---